Guineitos en Escabeche
- 12 medium size green bananas
- 1 ¼ cup of olive oil
- ⅓ cup of white vinegar
- 1 tsp of kosher or sea salt
- 10-12 whole peppercorns
- 2 bay leafs
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 medium onions cut in thin ring slices. You can use red onions also to give a variation in color
- In small to medium pot combine oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, bay leaves and garlic cloves. Mix and cook for 30 minutes on low heat.
- Add onions and allow to cook for additional 10 minutes. Take off the flame and allow to cool.
- Cut ends off guineitos with a knife and slice along the outside of the guineo without peeling off the skin. After boiling, this will help them peel.
- Place the guineitos in pot with salt and dash of olive oil for 20-30 minutes. They will darken but you don’t want skin to fall apart. You can test with a toothpick to make sure it’s tender and not too firm.
- Remove from boiling water and peel. Cut into 1 inch round pieces and place in serving bowl or platter.
- Cover with vinegary sauce and mix. Let cool and refrigerate overnight.
- Take out one hour before serving and serve room temperature. Buen provecho!