Fricasé en Pollo
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 tbs of kosher salt
- 1/2 tbs garlic powder
- 1/2 tbs cumin
- 1/2 tbs black pepper
- 1/2 tbs onion powder
- 1/2 tbs cayenne powder (for a spicier option)
- 3 tbs of vinegar
- 3 tbs achiote oil
- ½ cup of sofrito
- 1 small diced onion
- 5 minced garlic cloves
- 1 green pepper diced (membrane removed)
- 4 tbs of chopped recao/culantro
- 3 cups of cooking wine of your choice.
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 peeled and cubed potatoes
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 4 tbs of stuffed green olives
- 4 tbs capers
- 3 ½ cups of water
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt as needed
- Cut chicken into parts on clean surface. Remove wings, thighs and drumstick. Split breast in two. Keep skin in tact. Wash chicken and set in large bowl.
- Marinate chicken with first 6 dry ingredients and vinegar. Rub in well, cover, and let marinate in refrigerator at least 1 hour. If time allows, overnight is best.
- In large saucepan, heat up achiote oil until hot. Seal in the flavors and brown chicken for about 6 minutes on all sides ‘til browned.
- Add Sofrito, onions, garlic, green pepper, recao to pan of browned chicken. Let ingredients cook about 5 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with cooking wine about 4-5 minutes
- Add tomato sauce, carrots, potatoes, olives, capers, bay leafs.
- Add water and bring to boil
- Add salt or cayenne powder again if you enjoy spicy. This is a great time to taste food and make adjustments of taste as needed.
- Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for about 1 hour. Chicken should be tender and falling off bone.
- Stir on occasion and remove bay leaves before serving. Great with with rice.