Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 4 bell peppers (any color is fine)
- chicken stock, or salt water
- ½ white onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, diced (optional)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery, diced
- 2-3 Tbsp sofrito (optional)
- ½ lb ground turkey
- 1 smoked turkey link, diced
- 16-oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the tops off the bell peppers. Cut off about ½-inch and deseed. Remove membrane and rinse. Shave bottom as needed so that pepper can stand.
- Bring chicken stock or salted water to a boil and parboil peppers to get them tender about 5 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil and sauté onions. Add garlic, carrot and celery then add the "sofrito” or "green seasoning".
- Add ground turkey and brown; add the diced smoked turkey link, then add diced tomatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste then add the cheddar cheese.
- Using a spoon, pack the bell pepper halves with mixture.
- Cover with foil and place in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with mozzarella cheese. Leave uncovered so that the cheese can brown about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let rest 10 minutes and enjoy.