Caribbean Style Chinese Rice
- Peanut or sesame oil.
- 1 thinly sliced carrot
- 1 roughly chopped medium onion
- 1 chopped celery stick
- 1/4 julien sliced green pepper
- 1/4 julien sliced red pepper
- 5-6 minced garlic cloves
- handful of fresh string beans
- 1/4 green cabbage rough chopped
- 1 jalapeño with seeds (optional)
- 2 tbs of sofrito
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 cup of pineapple juice
- handful of cilantro
- 6 cups of medium grain rice
- handful of cashews
- banana leaf
- salt to taste
- Heat wok until oil is hot. Add ingredients in order listed.
- Deglaze with soy sauce, teriyaki, pineapple juice after sofrito is well incorporated and vegetables are slightly tender. Taste and adjust as needed
- Add cilantro and cashews (they do not need much cooking time). Add rice to sautéed vegetables and sauce. Mix gently so flavors are all incorporated. Add water so that it is about 4-5 centimeters above rice and vegetables.
- Wait until there is a slight boil and cover well. Cover with banana leaf then lid for secure seal. Put on low and do not mix too much.
- Check after 20 minutes and gently mix
- Continue to cook for an addition 15-20 minutes until rice is consistently softened. Enjoy